Monday, March 11, 2013

Purposes of Writing

A while back I met an astute woman named Amiee who was doing work on a documentary. We talked about writing in romance books and then the purpose of writing in general. I came to realise that a lot of people look at it is as pure escapism, and some writers only write to get away from this world. If that's the case then is there no other point to writing?

I know from some of the wonderful people in my life and from my own experiences with writing that many people know literature is far richer than that, so this made me want to share what other purposes I believe story telling has held, throughout history and in times today, and what in particular I use to give my writing (I hope) value.



picture source

reading and writing stories has always been imperative in the development of morals in youth. Fables and fairy stories, though sometimes grizzly, were often intended that way to teach a lesson. Example: in Sleeping Beauty originally she was raped and only woke from her deep sleep after giving birth. Not the happiest story, but it was there to teach young girls that they can't always afford to be innocent and must be careful and aware of the world around them, they can not spend their youth 'asleep.'

These are the skills we're taught in school. Finding these messages are important to our cultural development. When we look at some texts we search for themes, messages and motifs. What is the author trying to say?

In my own work I try to communicate questions I have about this world and bring my readers around to question some of the things they might have taken for granted, but in other matters I also use them as tools for myself and my own development, and I hope that by doing so I'm creating further tools for others. I look at exploring new character types, and different methods of being, to gain an understanding of how other humans might think and to explore how I myself as a person would like to develop. I try not to live through my characters or make any single character exactly like myself because I want to explore aspects of personality that I don't or haven't explored in the real world.

For that reason, though I love escapism and the sheer beauty and pleasure that comes from reading and writing, I hope most people realise that such things only scratch the surface of what writing can do.

4 comments:

  1. Great words Meg.

    I gravitate towards stories that stimulate me to think and to be an active participant in the story. Mysteries are often framed that way but I'll often look for thematic undercurrents going on that I can think further about after reading a story.

    I try to write that way too. It's great to be able to fire an imagination in such a way that invites questions and discussion. That is one of the joys of meeting readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean.
      I wouldn't really know about mystery books, I haven't read nearly enough of those yet, but I think I agree. The more undercurrents and underlining ideas a book has, the richer a text I find it.

      Delete
  2. interesting, I'll confess I hardly think about themes. It's one of the hardest things I'm asked to do in study, convey a certain theme. But it can be a fun challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand, and sometimes the greatest themes are the ones that subtly underline the text, effecting how you think and feel without you even realising it. But once you go see them and understand them, sometimes you can appreciate the whole text a lot more, even if you struggle to read it again for knowing if far too well now.

      Delete