Thursday, December 26, 2013

Writing Locations

Recently I saw Love Actually - as I'm sure many others did in the lead up to Christmas, and I loved it, but every time I watch that movie my favourite scenes are Colin Firth's, and his villa in France. As a writer, I look at it as the perfect retreat to sit and write, and he even uses a typewriter!
I wish I had a similar kind of get away, but I can say I love the idea of having different, beautiful places where I could retreat to merely to write, particularly with all the distractions and available procrastination opportunities available in everyday life.
My biggest question would be if the character had internet connection there, or even electricity, because in my mind he doesn't. Today between internet distractions like You Tube and social media, a forced detachment from the online word might be exactly what many writers need.
In a beautiful place like that I hope I would be able to sit and write for hours. However, on the flip side, I fear I would spend more time on scenic walks and daydreaming. Scientific studies, however, have also suggested that different and interesting environments are actually very beneficial to attaining focus and concentration in your work.
In any event, it is a beautiful place, and one I would love to live in and write in one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment