Friday, April 12, 2013

I am so pleased! This weak I finally finished Leo Tolstoy's Anna Karenina, an eight part classic novel that's taken me four-five months to read.

This book is a heavy read, I needed frequent breaks as I went through, I even stopped to read White Horse, The Grimstones and The Female of the Species in between. But looking back on it, it is an incredibly detailed documentary of human interaction and emotion, with some massive drama and suspense. However despite  being called Anna Karenina for a while it seemed that Levin, a farmer character, was centre of the book rather than her. Much of the book was centred on his farming or courting or questions, though most of the characters were explained, he was especially privileged. But all the characters were so detailed in their thoughts and feelings, you could see the faults virtues in them too completely to idolise any of them, or hate most of them (there were a few exceptions on this point for me). All in all I'm very glad I'm done - now I can watch the movies.

2 comments:

  1. The trailer for the current version looks gorgeous (I love period dramas).
    It sounds like an interesting story, but it would properly take me forever to read because I'm not a very quick reader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me much longer than I'd have hoped, I started it before I knew there was going to be a movie, and now it's too late to see it in cinemas! Oh well, when it's out on DVD then.

      Delete